Preventive Dental Services Ooltewah TN
At Tedford Family Dentistry, we offer full preventive dental services in Ooltewah TN. We can help your smile continue to sparkle brightly.Preventive dentistry in Ooltewah TN is available at Tedford Family Dentistry. Preventive dentistry involves ongoing hygiene, treatment, and continued education to maintain healthy teeth and gums. From daily brushing and flossing to teeth cleaning and examinations, preventive dentistry can improve oral health. It can help prevent gum disease, cavities, and excessive wear of enamel.
PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY FOR CHILDRENWe recommend our preventive dentistry in Ooltewah TN for all ages, especially children, for healthy oral hygiene. Early examinations and routine cleanings can ensure optimal dental health. Children should receive regular teeth cleaning and examinations while continuing recommended dental care at home. This can help make teeth strong, while also preventing decay and gum disease.
FOODS & PREVENTIVE DENTISTRYAs the saying goes, you are what you eat. This is especially true in preventive dentistry. Consuming food and drinks that contain sugar can wear away at enamel and cause decay over time. To minimize your risk and to protect your mouth, choose a diet rich in minerals and calcium such as fruits and vegetables.
SMOKING & PREVENTIVE DENTISTRYCan smoking or drinking affect my teeth and gums? The answer is yes, smoking and drinking affect several parts of the body. Smoking can cause tooth discoloration, tooth loss, increased risk of gum disease and may even result in oral cancers.
We recommend visiting Tedford Family Dentistry at least every 6 months for an oral examination if you smoke. Our preventive dentistry in Ooltewah TN encompasses examinations and cleanings to reduce risks to oral health. Alcohol can also cause similar side effects. Patients who smoke and drink are more at risk for disease.
ABOUT OUR PREVENTIVE DENTAL SERVICES
Regular dental checkups are a form of preventive dentistry, that includes dentist examinations and x-rays. Once the exam is complete, Dr. Tedford will recommend oral treatments to prevent sensitivity, cavities and other common conditions. We recommend patients of all ages to take preventive dental care and utilize our preventive dental services.
Our Family dentistry team will first check your teeth and gums and talk to you about any treatment needed, such as:
- Remove all plaque and tartar build-up during teeth cleanings and examinations.
- Indicate the best ways to brush and floss to remove the bacterial ‘plaque'.
- Assess the condition of fillings that might make cleaning difficult.
- Recommend or prescribe high-strength fluoride toothpaste for high-risk patients with tooth decay.
- Brush teeth twice daily. Once during the day and again at night before bed, using fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss teeth daily, as brushing only cleans up to 60% of your teeth.
- Rinse with mouthwash. The majority of antibacterial mouthwashes contain ingredients to help prevent gum disease and to help prevent decay.
- Regular teeth cleanings, using state of the art tools and technology
- Regular dental exams to prevent infection, disease, and cavities
- Use of fluoride treatments
- X-rays to reveal any underlying conditions the dental exam might miss
- Tooth sealants to protect teeth
- Dental procedures to correct misalignment, crowding, or difficulty chewing
- Bonding, crowns, bridges, tooth implants or dentures
- Root canal or tooth extraction procedures