Chattanooga Family Dentist Explores Benefits of Good Oral Hygiene
It’s likely that your parents have taught you about the benefits of good oral hygiene since early childhood. They taught you to brush your teeth, floss daily, avoid excessive sugary food and drink, and the like. But the benefits of taking care of your teeth and gums go well beyond appearance and fresh breath. Let’s explore some of the benefits of taking exceptional care of your mouth with healthy habits!
What does good oral hygiene entail?
First of all, it’s a good idea to know and understand what it really means to practice good oral hygiene. It all starts with taking great care of your teeth and gums at home.
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste to ensure your teeth are clean and to mitigate tartar and plaque buildup.
- Floss your teeth at least once daily to rid your mouth of bits of food and bacteria that can settle between your teeth, and cause problems over time.
- Drink plenty of water! Drinking water offers myriad health benefits, but is also great for your teeth. The fluoride in drinking water helps to boost tooth health and reinforce enamel.
- See your dentist on a regular basis! Twice a year is recommended, and at each visit your dentist will clean your teeth and conduct a dental exam to ensure there are no issues that need to be addressed.
Benefits of Good Oral Hygiene
- Mitigate tooth decay than can cause dental problems
- Reduce tooth sensitivity by preserving the teeth’s protective enamel layer
- Reduce the likelihood of developing tooth decay and cavities that require costly fillings
- Preventative care is less invasive and less expensive than emergency care– also less painful!
- Preserve your teeth and avoid tooth loss
- Enjoy fresher breath and more aesthetically pleasing teeth when you properly care for them
- Maintain healthy gums and avoid periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Potentially lower your risk of cancer
- Potentially lower your risk of developing heart disease
- Potentially lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Taking great care of your teeth and gums serves you in so many ways. Practicing good oral hygiene can also add to an improved sense of self esteem and self confidence, and all around quality of life. So take care of those pearly whites, and if you need dental assistance, know the team at Tedford Family Dentistry is here for you anytime! Feel free to reach out with any need.