Like any other medical procedure, there are steps you should take to maintain the results of your cosmetic dentistry enhancements. Following your treatment, there will be instructions for care and for maximizing the benefits of the procedure. It is important that you follow these instructions and contact your dentist if a problem should arise. Additionally, there are a few other behaviors to avoid if you want to keep your smile at its best.
- To keep your smile at its brightest, you will want to reduce your intake of soda, tea and coffee. When consuming these beverages, use a straw to minimize contact with your teeth as the liquids can stain.
- Switch that sugary snack for one that is high in protein. Diets that are high in sugar can lead to tooth decay resulting in more invasive dental work, while high protein diets support oral health.
- Ice crunching is a common habit, but can lead to serious tooth damage. The crunching behavior can fracture or crack your teeth resulting in more invasive dental work.
- Wear a mouth guard at night to prevent teeth grinding. Continual grinding increases your risk of cracks or fractures in your teeth or dental veneers.
- Biting your fingernails puts excessive pressure on your teeth and can be especially harmful if you have dental veneers. Consider nail polish or acrylic tips to help reduce the biting urge.
- When you use your tongue to press against your upper teeth, you can cause your teeth to shift over time. This pressure can ultimately change the appearance of your teeth and lower face.
Keep your teeth at their healthiest and your smile at its whitest and brightest with cosmetic dental enchantments from our Chattanooga dentist.
Written by Tiffany Hutton