There are a variety of methods that can reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Brushing and flossing regularly
- Gently brush along the gum line with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Take care to avoid removing gum tissue.
- Switch your regular toothpaste for a formula that is designed for sensitive teeth.
- Avoiding foods and drinks that are highly acidic can help to elevate discomfort.
- Select toothpastes and mouthwashes that contain fluoride as it can help to decrease sensitivity.
- Use a mouth guard at night to help protect your teeth against grinding.
There are also a variety of dental procedures that can help to decrease tooth sensitivity and pain. Your dentist may recommend dental bonding, fluoride varnishes and dentin sealers can all be applied to the exposed root surface.
Through a variety of preventative methods and semiannual visits with your dentist, you can reduce the pain and discomfort associated with tooth sensitivity.